Meet your Northwest School Counselor!
My name is Ken Travis and I am your student’s School Counselor at Northwest Elementary!
I received my Bachelor’s degree from Liberty University and my master’s degrees at Liberty University (M.A. Counseling), Lynchburg College (M. Ed. School Counseling) and Turabo University (ESL Instruction). I have PA school counseling certification and I am currently working toward my doctorate at Widener University.
My wife and I have four children ages 13 to 21, and they keep us very busy! In my spare time I enjoy playing music, reading, car repair, and spending time with family and friends. I consider myself very fortunate to team with students, teachers, staff and parents to help students to be safe and successful!
My Favorite Quote:
“Sensitivity is a strength,
Listening is a skill,
Love is an action, and
Life is a gift to be shared.” – Samuel Gladding
My School Counseling Responsibilities:
I team with our Northwest Staff on our HELP Child Study Team which focuses on helping students who may have academic or behavior needs.
Sometimes a student’s needs can be better addressed through a referral to a support agency/organization outside of the school. When this is a possibility, I will contact you for your permission.
I meet both individually and with groups of students to celebrate successes and to help them problem-solve.
As a way to reach all students, I provide classroom school counseling lessons in all grades based on the schedule below. I follow the American School Counselors Association’s National Standards, addressing the academic, personal/social, and the career domains of students.
I will invest my time in each grade, teaching units on a variety of topics that promote self-awareness and problem solving skills. A tentative outlook of these topics, include the following:
Kindergarten: Manners, Feelings, Personal Safety Program
Grade 1: Peacemakers/Bully Prevention and Careers
Grade 2: Problem-solving/Bully Prevention, Personal Safety Program, Careers
Grade 3: Bully Prevention and Careers
Grade 4: Diversity/Bully Prevention, Personal Safety Program and Career Exploration
Grade 5: Bully Prevention, Career Exploration
My beliefs (Mission/Vision):
School-Based Counseling Program:
Reading that makes you think….
- Book suggestions for Parents
- Book suggestions for Students
Northwest Student Council:
Great Websites to check out!
- Love and Logic: http://www.loveandlogic.com/
- Parent Smart: http://www.parentsmart.com/
- Stop Bullying Now (for parents #1): http://stopbullyingnow.com/
- Stop Bullying Now (for parents #2): http://www.bullying.org/
- Stop Bullying Now (for students): http://www.pacerkidsagainstbullying.org/kab/
- Talk about Tough Issues: http://www.childrennow.org/parenting-resources/
- Teaching Tolerance: http://www.tolerance.org/
- Anger management: http://www.nasponline.org/resources/behavior/tantrums_ho.aspx
- Learning Disabilities and ADHD: http://www.ldonline.org/
- Self-Image: http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk/body_image.html
- Anxiety: http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/anxiety.html
Please contact me with any questions or suggestions; Thank you!